"Professional Competence Equals Professional Pride"
- Completion of 24 months of full-time employment or equivalent part-time hours performing Operating Room surgical instrument processing
activities (provide verification signed by your manager on your exam application).
- Completion of a surgical instrument processing or surgical technology course with a passing grade of 70 or higher (provide copy of certificate/grade from your instructor) AND 12 months of full-time or equivalent part-time hours performing surgical instrument processing (provide verification signed by your manager on your exam application).
- Completion of 24 months surgical instrument sales or service (provide verification signed by your employer on your exam application).
Cost for exam each time you take it in the United States:
$125 (for payment by money order/cashier's check or Work Facility check, **NO PERSONAL CHECKS**). The
cost is $125 if your completed application and payment is received up
to 2 weeks before the current application deadline. After that time,
the cost wil be $135.
If the candidate registers late, and have a company
check already made for the $125 ea., then the CBSPD will register the
candidate(s) and allow them to test. However, the CBSPD won't release the
candidate(s) grades until the additional money is paid.
(for payment by credit card. This includes a non-refundable $3
convenience fee per person for using your credit card. All chargeback's
will be assessed a fee of $20). The
cost is $128 if your completed application and payment is received up
to 2 weeks before the current application deadline. After that time,
the cost wil be $138.
Number of questions on exam: 100 (multiple choice given on a computer at a Lasergrade/PSI testing center)
Time to complete exam: 2 hours
Passing scaled score for exam: 70
PASS/FAIL Results are given the day of exam (for those testing on a
computer), FINAL results are mailed to you by 3 weeks after the end of
the exam window. Passing candidates only get a passing status with no
score given, while failing candidates get a score as well as a
diagnostic report on what areas on the exam they did well/poor in. NOTE: failing candidates will now only receive a score and diagnostic report with their FINAL results.
**Please note, while it is unlikely, there is a chance that your preliminary result reported and the final result reported may differ. Psychometric/statistical analysis is performed after each exam which sometimes leads to an adjustment of the scores. This is why you MUST wait for your final exam result to arrive in the mail to determine if you passed or failed the exam.
is no limit on how many times you can take the exam if you fail,
however if you do fail, you must take the entire exam over again and
pay the entire fee as well. You cannot take the exam more than once in
the same exam window.
"International" Certification Length: 5 years
Points needed to re-certify: 100 (candidate keeps track of points over the 5 years)
**CBSPD awards 50 points for full time employment over the
5 years (with verification). A candidate would then only need to earn 10 points per year to re-certify.
Cost of re-certification for another 5 years: $100
Exam Dates & Test Sites
Click HERE for exam dates and application deadlines.
Click HERE for Lasergrade/PSI test sites in the United States and Canada.
Click HERE for a list of "independent" training courses (not associated with CBSPD).
Surgical Instrument Exam Outline
**These areas will be covered in the study material for this exam.
1. Care of Surgical Instruments (6% of Exam)
2. Identification of Surgical Instruments by Proper Name (34% of Exam)
- Composition and finish of instruments (e.g. titanium, stainless steel)
- Grades of stainless steel
- Methods to prevent damage
3. Components, Assembly and Configuration of Individual Sets (6% of Exam)
- General instruments (e.g. hemostats, scissors, forceps)
- Retractors (hand held, self retaining and table mounts)
- Laparoscopic instruments and accessories
- Robotic instruments and accessories
- Navigational systems
- Surgical instrument tracking systems
- Power Equipment
- Specialty instruments: Orthopedic (includes trauma and total joints)
- Specialty instruments: Neurosurgical
- Specialty instruments: Vascular
- Specialty instruments: Cardiovascular-Thoracic
- Specialty instruments: ENT
- Specialty instruments: GU
- Specialty instruments: Dental
- Specialty instruments: GYN
- Specialty instruments: Plastic
- Anatomy of instruments (e.g. jaws, shanks, box lock)
4. Instrument Inspection and Safety Testing (36% of Exam)
- Instrument make-up for various sets
- Name of instruments
- Use of instruments
5. Loaner/Implant Sets and Components (8% of Exam)
- Inspection for cleanliness – frequency
- Inspection for cleanliness – method (e.g. magnifying lamp)
- How to test scissors, hinged instruments, forceps, needle holders, etc.
- Inspection and testing of laparoscopic instruments for functionality
- Inspection of insulation on insulation instruments: frequency
- Inspection of insulation on insulated instruments: method (e.g. reusable testers, single use testers)
- Inspection of instrument marking tape, dipped handles, etc. What methods are acceptable for marking.
- Inspection of instrument marking tape, dipped handles, etc. How to utilize instrument identification methods
- Inspection of instrument marking tape, dipped handles, etc. Correct application of tape.
- Inspection of instrument marking tape, dipped handles, etc. Maintenance of marking method.
- Inspection of specialty devices/sets: Rigid, semi-rigid and flexible scopes
- Inspection of specialty devices/sets: Robotic instruments
- Inspection of specialty devices/sets: Power Equipment
- Inspection of specialty devices/sets: Harmonic scalpels
- Inspection of specialty devices/sets: Cameras
- Inspection of specialty devices/sets: Stereotactic sets
- Inspection of specialty devices/sets: Sigmoidoscope sets
6. Ethics (10% of Exam)
- Inspection of loaner instruments.
- Testing of loaner instruments.
- Set configuration of loaner instruments.
- Documentation process for loaner instruments.
- Cleanliness of instruments
- Functionality of instruments
- Correct instrument on set
- Completeness of sets
- Reporting instrument damage/abuse
Study Material Used to Prepare
for Surgical Instrument Exam
Surgical Instrument Specialist Package: $225 plus shipping/handling.
1. CBSPD Surgical Instrument Specialist Study guide - 2nd Edition
2. Tighe, Shirley, Surgical Instrumentation for the Operating Room: A
Photographic Manual. 8th Edition. Elsevier (Mosby).
3. SPU's The Basics of Sterile Processing Textbook - 4th or 5th Edition
4. SPU's The Basics of Sterile Processing Workbook - 4th or 5th Edition
Order Now on-line by Credit Card HERE (to get the on-line discount).
If you want to pay by Facility check or money order, click HERE to download an order form. We will ONLY accept PRE-PAID purchase orders. You can also place an order by calling us at 1.908.236.0530. **There are NO discounts for orders sent in by mail, faxed in, or called in by phone.
Exam Application Process
1. The MAY 2015 application booklets will be available by Mid MARCH 2015.
If you have trouble downloading this file, please email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can email you a copy.
2. Once you have your surgical instrument specialist candidate bulletin, you are required to read it completely.
Filling Out Your Application
is very important to follow all instructions listed below in order to
have your application processed correctly. The application MUST be the
most recent form and old applications are not accepted. Failure to follow instructions WILL cause your application to be rejected.
1. Print (in ink) or type all information requested clearly. Writing that is not legible WILL cause delays in the registration process.
2. Read the Applicant Agreement in Section One carefully then sign and date the application. NOTE: The application is a legal document. If you falsify this agreement, it gives the CBSPD the right to cancel your registration.
YOU MUST COMPLETE SECTION TWO (EXAM ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION). IF THIS
SECTION IS NOT COMPLETE, YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED.
EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION IS NOW COMPLETED RIGHT ON THE APPLICATION IN
THIS SECTION. Follow the directions below.
the list of exam requirements in Section Two and then check off the one
that applies to you (besides already being certified as a CBSPD SPD
tech (CSPDT). You only need to meet ONE of these other requirements to
sit for this exam after having your CBSPD tech certification. If you do not meet at least one of these requirements, then you cannot challenge the exam.
you are currently certified as a Technician thru the CBSPD, you need to
include a copy of your technician certification certificate which was
issued to you by the CBSPD. If you do not include a copy of your CBSPD tech certificate, your application will be rejected.
you qualify for the exam by length of employment, THE NEXT STEP is to
have your MANAGER fill out the section directly below it where it
states “THIS INFORMATION BELOW IS TO BE FILLED OUT BY YOUR
EMPLOYER”. In this section, your manager, who is verifying your
experience, will include his/her Name, Phone Number, Work Address, and
it MUST be signed by him/her. If you qualify by length of employment
and this section is not completed, your application will be rejected.
- If you have completed a surgical instrument processing or surgical technology training course, you STILL
must have your manager verify your employment because you also need at
least 12 months of full time employment performing surgical instrument
processing (please see exam requirements for details). You will have to
attach a legible copy of your certificate or grade from your course
instructor showing that you passed the course with a grade of 70 or
higher. You will also need for your manager to verify your 12 months of
full-time employment by filling out the employer verification section.
If you check off the option in Section Two for completion of a training
course & employment and your certificate or grade from your
instructor is not attached or your manager does not fill out the
experience verification section, your application will be rejected.
4. Complete Section Three of the application (Payment Information).
Check off ONE of the options for payment. You can pay by Money
Order, Work Facility Check, or Cashier’s Check for $125 up to 2 weeks before the current application deadline. After that time, the cost will be $135. Please
put your name and phone number on the Money Order or Cashier’s
Check and make payable to: CBSPD. If you want
to pay by credit card, check off that box. Please note there is a $3
non-refundable convenience fee per person for the use of your credit
card. With this in mind, the exam fee when using a credit card will be
$128 up to 2 weeks before the current application deadline. After that time, the cost will be $138. All chargeback’s will be assessed a fee of $20. We
will supply you with a receipt for your credit card transaction when we
send you your registration verification notice either in the mail with
your postcard or by email. If this section is not complete, your application will be rejected.
5. Send your completed an signed application with payment to our office
by the application deadline on the top of the most recent
application...AND NO LATER.
Send to: CBSPD, 148 MAIN STREET, SUITE C-1, LEBANON, NJ, 08833
ADVISE THAT YOU USE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION. ALSO, IF YOU ARE SENDING IN
YOUR INFO TO US CLOSE TO THE APPLICATION DEADLINE, SEND IT OVERNIGHT!!
DO NOT TRUST SENDING IT THROUGH REGULAR MAIL! IT MAY GET HERE TOO LATE
IF YOU DO!
Reserving Your Exam Seat/Date - The Final Steps
Once your application has been reviewed and approved, you will receive a registration verification notice
in the form of a postcard OR email (if you give us an email address on
your application). DO NOT DISCARD THIS REGISTRATION NOTICE. When
you receive your NOTICE, you MUST verify that all the information on
the notice is correct, INCLUDING THE EXAM YOU WISH TO TAKE. If ANY
information is NOT correct including the spelling of your name/address
or the exam(s) you signed up for, call the CBSPD office or e-mail us at
email@example.com IMMEDIATELY. The CBSPD will not
refund or credit you if you register for the wrong exam and do not
notify the CBSPD office within 48 hours of the start of the exam window. The
REGISTRATION NOTICE will also tell you to call the testing agency
(Lasergrade/PSI) at their toll free number (800-211-2754) to schedule
your actual date/location of the exam. The date and time can be
anytime during the selected week (window) specified on your application
form. However, dates and times are subject to availability at the
site selected. IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOUR REGISTRATION
VERIFICATION NOTICE 7 DAYS PRIOR TO THE EXAMINATION WINDOW, contact the
CBSPD office immediately.
Test Center Regulations
1. You MUST present a VALID
government issued ID with your photo attached (i.e. passport,
driver’s license, military ID, or State Issued ID) at the test
site before you are allowed to take the examination. No exceptions will be made.
If you do not bring your valid government issued photo ID with you on
the date of the exam, you will not be permitted to sit for the exam.
2. Candidates must arrive at the test center 30 minutes prior to the scheduled time of the examination. Candidate admission will begin immediately and testing will begin at the scheduled time.
arrivals at the test center will only be permitted to take the exam at
the discretion of the test site proctor and subject to space
availability. (NOTE: Each test center has a certain amount of computers
and if they are all in use you will not be able to take the exam). If
the site cannot accommodate the candidate, the testing fee is forfeited
(no refund). Make sure you allow enough time to get to the test site to
avoid this. Candidates will only be allowed to take the
examination at their assigned test center; "walk-in" candidates will
not be permitted to take the examination.
papers, notes, cell phones, pagers, calculators or similar electronic
devices are not permitted in the testing center. Personal property such
as briefcases, backpacks, or large purses will be collected by the
Proctors and returned after the testing session.
5. Visitors or observers are not allowed in the test center.
NO SHOWS – Any candidate that fails to show up for the exam will not be issued a refund or transferred to another exam date.
SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT CHEATING –
The Board of Directors of the CBSPD consider any of the following
activities (occurring during or after the administration of any of the
CBSPD certification examinations) as cheating: verbal and non-verbal
communications in which discussion of any of the questions on the exam
are made, use of cell phones, pagers with text messaging or phones; use
of textbooks, reference materials, crib sheets, writing information and
removal from the room, removal of exams from the room, etc. Any
instances of cheating or alleged cheating will result in a thorough
investigation. Any candidate who is found to have cheated will
face strict disciplinary action up to and including non-scoring of
their examination and possible legal action for theft of copyrighted
property. Any candidate who has cheated or allegedly cheated
during the exam will be precluded from taking any CBSPD examination for
a period of no less than six (6) months as determined by the Board of
Directors based upon the results of the investigation of the incident.
Exam Policies To Be Aware Of
For candidates that find they are signed up for the wrong exam: When
you receive your registration verification notice, if there is an error
in the exam you wish to take, please contact the CBSPD office
immediately so the correction can be made. If you decide to sit for a different exam (i.e. change your mind), you must call the CBSPD office immediately to arrange for the change. There is a $10 fee for this change of exam. No changes of exams can be made within 48 hours of the START of the exam window.
REFUND POLICY - Candidates wishing to withdraw from their examination may do so up to 2 weeks prior to the START of the exam window.
Requests for withdrawal must be made in writing (by mail or fax) and
must be received by the CBSPD office on or before the 2-week deadline. There is a $60 non-refundable administrative fee for withdrawal. NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED IF THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT FOLLOWED.
TRANSFER POLICY- Any
candidate unable to take the examination on the date originally
registered can transfer to the next available examination window up to 24 hours in advance.
There is a $20 non-refundable fee for ALL non-emergency transfers.
The request for transfer must be made in writing (by mail or fax) and
must be received by the CBSPD along with payment (credit card or Money
orders/Cashier’s Checks; made payable to CBSPD) no later than 24 hours before the START of the exam window. Transfers will not be processed by Lasergrade/PSI. The candidate must make all transfer requests to the CBSPD. No transfer requests will be honored for anyone other than the candidate.
the candidate has already reserved their exam seat with Lasergrade/PSI,
they must FIRST contact Lasergrade/PSI (1.800.211.2754) within 24 hours
of their originally scheduled exam date t